dev@jsr311.java.net

Re: JSR311: Response isn't adequate

From: Marc Hadley <Marc.Hadley_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 13:08:32 -0500

On Feb 28, 2008, at 12:10 PM, Bill Burke wrote:

> And I've already told you that this just not cut it for specific use
> cases (Blobs). It is going to make EJB integration(really anybody
> that uses JTA) unusable in those cases. I don't think Lobs are an
> unreasonable use case to support.
>
>> - In a servlet container you can inject HttpServletResponse and use
>> the OutputStream from that but you'll have to set any headers
>> yourself before you commence writing.
>
> So, anything that doesn't fit the @Provider model, we'll have to
> escape to Servlet API or worse, have our own vendor specific
> extension for? Hmmmm...All because we can't inject an OutputStream.

I'm not I understand why blobs don't fit the provider model ? If the
provider runs in the same connection+transaction scope as the resource
method and can be injected with all the same stuff what doesn't work ?
Sorry if I'm being dense here.

Injecting an OutputStream is only half the work, if you still want to
be able to use Response to specify headers then you'd either have to
call that first and somehow pass that to the runtime then start
writing to the output stream or we'd have to buffer the output waiting
for the method to complete and return the response. Again, sorry if I
missed something, I'm still catching up from a few days vacation.

Marc.

---
Marc Hadley <marc.hadley at sun.com>
CTO Office, Sun Microsystems.