dev@jsr311.java.net

Re: JSR311: JAX-RS Client API

From: Marc Hadley <Marc.Hadley_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 09:59:45 -0400

On Oct 11, 2007, at 9:58 AM, Ryan McDonough wrote:

> I know the idea of a client API was deemed out of scope for the
> initial
> JAX-RS spec. However, after reading Bill Burke's feedback on the
> draft, it
> maybe a good idea to start thinking about this some more. I wrote
> up a post
> on the subject taking Bill's ideas a bit further:
>
> http://www.damnhandy.com/2007/10/11/the-potential-of-a-jax-rs-
> client-api/
>
> When you think about it, it wouldn't be a big stretch to implement
> a client
> API using some of these ideas. Thoughts?

I agree that some of the current APIs could be used on the client
side. In particular entity providers and UriBuilder. I can also see
that a client side Request.Builder analogue to Response.Builder could
be specified. However I'm concerned that the kind of approach you
suggest with annotated interfaces would really result in hiding the
uniform interface behind an RPCish facade and I don't think that is
what I'd want in a RESTful client API.

Marc.

---
Marc Hadley <marc.hadley at sun.com>