dev@jsr311.java.net

Re: Publish jsr311-api.jar into a public maven repository?

From: Marc Hadley <Marc.Hadley_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 11:44:31 -0400

On Sep 16, 2007, at 10:45 PM, Liu, Jervis wrote:

> We are interested in implementing JSR-311 in Apache CXF. I've been
> playing with some prototype implementation codes for a few days on
> my own svn branch, so far so good.

That's great news, we'd welcome a second independent implementation
or we'd be happy to combine efforts via Jersey (http://
jersey.dev.java.net/) if that makes sense. Please bear in mind that
the API is a moving target and changes are inevitable, more on how we
intend to manage this below.

> However the biggest problem that preventing me and other CXF
> developers from working on CXF JSR-311 implementation is the jsr311-
> api.jar. No work related to JSR-311 implementation can be checked
> in into CXF's main trunk until jsr311-api.jar is available
> somewhere in a public maven repository. I wonder would it be
> possible to start publishing jsr311-api.jar into a public maven
> repository now so that everyone else who is also interested in
> implementing JSR-311 can move forward? Thanks.

We're actually already working on this as part of the process of
maven-enabling Jersey. We'll hopefully have something working soon
and I'll notify this list when the jars are published. The approach
we are planning to take is to publish a new jar in a maven repository
for each stable release of the API, e.g. 0.2, 0.3 etc rather than
publish a new version of the jar every time we make a change to the
API. That way implementations can target a stable version of the API
and move between versions in coarse steps rather than facing death by
a thousand changes. Hopefully this approach will work for Apache CXF
too ?

Thanks,
Marc.

---