dev@jsr311.java.net

RE: Welcome to JSR 311

From: Jerome Louvel <jerome.louvel_at_noelios.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 13:51:10 +0200

1) SPI packages

My feeling so far is that I would prefer to see the SPI removed from the
JSR. I'm ready to change my mind, if I see how this can make the
implementation of the annotation easier on top of the Restlet API.
Currently, it seems to me that it would make it more complex.

Even if we separate the API and SPI javadocs for our discussion, the result
JSR, as included in the JEE Javadocs, will contain all the packages.

2) Package name

It is indeed confusing to have so many 'ws' packages:
 - javax.jws
 - javax.jws.soap
 - javax.ws.rs
 - javax.xml.ws

On the paper, it seems more logical to add our JSR packages under
javax.jws.rs. This brings the issue of the existing annotations inside
javax.jws (HandlerChain, Oneway, WebMethod, WebParam, WebResult, WebService)
which could be assumed to be reused by the subpackage javax.jws.rs, which is
not the case.

Maybe a completely different name such as "javax.net.rs" would be even
better and would reduce the risk of confusion with existing Web Service APIs
(often associated with SOAP-style Web services).

Best regards,
Jerome