dev@jsr311.java.net

Re: Goal: POJO-based

From: Dhanji R. Prasanna <dhanji_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 20:34:55 +1000

Julian,

This sounds like it's shaping up to be a religious debate, so I'll be brief
;)

Maybe I am missing something but how do you define a contract language
without a grammar (schema) and a release specification (version)?
"application/xml" is a great example of an API-neutral contract, as are
"text/html", "application/ms-word" and several others. My point is, Jsr311
doesn't (and shouldn't) care what the transmission content looks like,
beyond the user-provided (or default) plugins for marshalling and
unmarshalling those types.

In that vein binding to xml as [the "standard"] transport medium is as bad
as binding to a language dependent medium like java/rmi. Anyway I suspect we
are saying the same thing in different ways (I hope =)

Regards,

Dhanji.