dev@jsr311.java.net

Re: Goal: POJO-based

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke_at_gmx.de>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 12:07:49 +0200

Dhanji R. Prasanna wrote:
> Hao,
>
> I am with Jerome on this. I dont really see how representational state
> can leak java idioms--can you give us any examples? I really dislike the
> idea of contract-first programming (we're back to SOA and wizdull).
>
> Also xml is not a platform or language-independent medium. When you
> convert something to xml, you're dependent on xml and all the problems
> it entails (schema, versioning, legacy dtds...). The advantage of
> API-neutral web services (a la RESTful web-services) is that we have no
> such dependence (except on the web and its idioms--i.e. http and http
> methods). It's conceivable that a web service is consumed as Json, html,
> or raw formats (like fastinfoset or jpeg). I would hate to think
> everything is converted to text/xml as an intermediary! =)
>
> Dhanji.

I do agree that we should allow multiple representations, and not rely
on application/xml (hint hint) alone. I disagree that using XML makes us
dependant on schemas or DTDs. XML works very well without grammar
information (at runtime). I also disagree that format versioning is an
issue specific to XML.

Best regards, Julian