dev@jsr311.java.net

Re: Sketch of updated APIs (was Re: Redirection and creation)

From: Marc Hadley <Marc.Hadley_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 09:24:19 -0400

On Apr 17, 2007, at 4:01 AM, Jerome Louvel wrote:

> Thanks for the update, it looks better. Some initial remarks:
> - why not merge the three SPI subpackages into a single
> javax.ws.rs.spi
> one. It would only contain 6 types and greatly reduce the
> "apparent" size on
> the API?

Personally (as may already be evident) I rather like the use of
separate packages for distinct units of functionality but I'm not
particularly opposed to merging all the SPIs into a single package -
if we did so we may need to to revisit the decision if we re-
introduce some of the other SPIs that were removed in this sketch.
What do others think - one SPI package or three sub packages ?

> - as JAXB isn't part of JSE 5.0, it seems like we shouldn't have
> JAXBRepresentation (with dependencies on javax.xml.bind package)
> directly in
> the API. I'm sure we can support JAXB without requiring such a
> dependency in
> the API.

Good point, that needs to be removed or made generic.

Marc.