users@jpa-spec.java.net

[jpa-spec users] Re: Feedback on the JPA 2.2 MR process...

From: arjan tijms <arjan.tijms_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2015 16:51:00 +0100

Hi,

On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 4:18 PM, Paul Benedict <pbenedict_at_apache.org> wrote:

> Will not the JPA 2.2. process comb the backlog to see what other good
> issues can be included? I watched the presentation too and know EclipseLink
> has many supposed 2.2 features already prototyped; I just wasn't expecting
> it to be the end-all of the entire feature set.

I can't speak for the MR/spec lead, but I interpreted the given list as
just an initial list of issues that seem likely. For clarity this list is:

* CDI support in attribute converters
* Meta annotations
* Repeating annotations

* Date/time support
* Stream support in queries
* JPQL/SQL string from Query

* Autocloseable for entity manager/factory (for Java SE)
* Pagination support for JPQL and Criteria
* Creating criteria from query
* Subquery(entityType) to criteria
* Query metamodel by entity name
* NoSQL
* Multitenacy

The "problem" is of course that it's a MR, not a full spec revision with a
selected EG etc. And a MR has a limited scope and doesn't have an official
EG etc. I'd rather seen an official full release given the amount of issues
that are still open for JPA and the fact that JPA is arguably one of the
most important specs in Java EE (I'd personally say it's only second to
CDI).

Yet, a MR is better than nothing.

Kind regards,
Arjan Tijms