users@jpa-spec.java.net

[jpa-spec users] [jsr338-experts] Re: two phase approach to creating the EMF, implicit CDI bean manager support ... was :schema generation proposed changes

From: Scott Marlow <smarlow_at_redhat.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2013 11:40:57 -0400

On 08/10/2012 07:35 PM, Linda DeMichiel wrote:
> Scott, Steve
>
> Thanks for the proposal.
>
> Folks, I'd like to get feedback from the group on this, particularly
> from container and
> persistence provider implementors.
>
> thanks,
>
> -Linda
>

> On 8/9/2012 10:50 AM, Scott Marlow wrote:
>> The idea of having a separate generateSchema() that might do the same
>> work as would of been done in
>> createContainerEntityManagerFactory() (if certain properties are
>> specified), brings to mind some other recent
>> discussions (one that I raised about deployment ordering concerns).
>>
>> Could we add other methods that provide a two-step approach to
>> creating the container manager entity manager factory? EE
>> Containers will still need to handle older JPA providers but we could
>> offer faster/more concurrent application
>> deployment for JPA 2.1 and greater.
>>
>> The reason for turning createContainerEntityManagerFactory(), into two
>> phases, is to allow the EE container to control
>> when different JPA deployment operations can occur. More specifically,
>> I would like to have control over when the
>> persistence provider performs the following aspects of
>> createContainerEntityManagerFactory():

Perhaps we should start a new thread if there is more interest in
switching to a two phase approach to creating the container entity
manager factory (for post 2.1). I'm just now learning of a conflict
between implicit CDI bean manager support and using
ClassFileTransformers to enhance/rewrite entity classes. I'd like to
allow both but the features seem to conflict with each other.

Knowing whether there is an explicit CDI bean manager, is easy to detect
(beans.xml is found) but for the implicit support, we assume there is a
bean manager if there is an EJB module. When we create the container
entity manager factory, if we pass in an implicit CDI bean manager, the
CDI bean manager creation will scan application classes, which means
ClassFileTransformers will register to late.

Thoughts?