users@jpa-spec.java.net

[jpa-spec users] [jsr338-experts] Schema generation feedback

From: Emmanuel Bernard <ebernard_at_redhat.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2013 16:51:36 +0100

Hello everyone and happy new year to all,

I have been discussing the schema generation feature with Max in our
tooling team. We have some minor feedback

We probably should offer a default value for create-script-target / drop-script-target.
Also being able to specify relative paths would be useful to not have to
change these from one environment to another.

What kind of URLs are accepted for destinations? Only file based URLs or
any thing? Not sure we want to be forced to write support for every URL
protocol on the planet.

Does create-database-schemas also cover the (non) creation of catalogs
for completeness (CREATE CATALOG command)?

Is the *-script-source considered mutual exclusive from the generated script
execution or is it considered something that is run in *addition* to these scripts ?

Should generateSchema be renamed prepareSchema to better reflect what
actually happens? It's not necessary just schema generation but can
involve creation / update / drop etc.

Emmanuel