users@jpa-spec.java.net

[jpa-spec users] [jsr338-experts] Re: BNF question: how to parse the example containing KEY, VALUE (and LIKE)

From: Linda DeMichiel <linda.demichiel_at_oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 17:27:28 -0700

Hi Michael,

Thanks for following up on this. More below....

On 3/22/2012 3:50 PM, Michael Bouschen wrote:
> Hi Linda,
>> Hi Michael,
>>
>> On 3/19/2012 3:26 PM, Michael Bouschen wrote:
>>> Hi Linda,

>>> would it work if we add composable_qualified_identification_variable as an additional alternative in string_expression
>>> (and datetime_expressio etc.):
>>>

>> I believe so, but I think we have to go further. I.e., I think we need to support this also
>> in in_expression, function_arg, case_operand, aggregate_expression, and entity_or_value_expression.
>>
>> Do you agree?
>
> yes agreed. The same holds true for orderby_item, correct?

Yes, orderBy_item needs to be covered as well.

I am hesitating about adding composable_qualified_identification_variable
to state_field_path_expression though, because a key may often not be a
state field of the object that is the map value. I'm also concerned
about the order-by rules. E.g.,

@Entity
public class Company {
   @Id int id;
   @OneToMany // map key is division name
   Map<String, VicePresident> organization;

The following query shouldn't work, because the key is
not part of the result.

SELECT vp
FROM Company c JOIN c.organization vp
WHERE vp.reports > 100
ORDER BY key(vp)

So, I was thinking of just either adding composable_qualified_identification_variable to
the needed places (ugly) or defining another non-terminal, e.g.,
generalized_state_expression::= state_field_path_expression | composable_qualified_identification_variable.

What do you think?

regards,

-Linda