jsr338-experts@jpa-spec.java.net

[jsr338-experts] EMF.getProperties() and EM.getProperties()

From: Steve Ebersole <steve.ebersole_at_redhat.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 08:02:44 -0500

Working with the new TCK I ran across 2 situations I'd like to discuss
with the group.

First, the new TCK is now including assertions that
EntityManager.getProperties() contains properties used to build the
EntityManagerFactory that was used to create the EntityManager. In my
opinion the spec does not say anywhere that this should be the case.
Can anyone point me to where it does if I am wrong (or else the TCK
needs to be fixed for that)?

Secondly, the types of properties the TCK is checking for got me
thinking. It checks for some sensitive information like JDBC url and
user and password. These are things we expose and are kind of forced to
expose at the moment. I'd like to suggest that we update the spec to
explicitly state that some of these properties are not available period,
at the very least javax.persistence.jdbc.password though I'd argue for
javax.persistence.jdbc.url and javax.persistence.jdbc.user as well.