jsr338-experts@jpa-spec.java.net

[jsr338-experts] BNF question: how to parse the example containing KEY, VALUE (and LIKE)

From: Christian Romberg <cromberg_at_versant.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 14:54:51 +0100

Dear group,

While investigating how to parse queries like this (all page/chapter
references refer to EDR 2.1, Dec 19th, 2011):

SELECT p
FROM Person p, in(pc.firstnames) n
WHERE n = 'Joe'

(firstnames is a List<String>)

I came across the following example provided in the spec, which is related
in structure:

section 4.4.4, p. 153:

SELECT i.name, VALUE(p)
FROM Item i JOIN i.photos p
WHERE KEY(p) LIKE ‘%egret’

I looked at the BNF how this is parsed, and did not find any derivation for
the FROM clause:

where_clause ::= WHERE conditional_expression
conditional_expression ::= conditional_term
conditional_term ::= conditional_factor
conditional_factor ::= conditional_primary
conditional_primary ::= simple_cond_expression
simple_cond_expression ::= like_expression
like_expression ::= string_expression LIKE pattern_value

So eventually I end up with 'string_expression', from which I can not
derive a 'qualified_identification_variable'

string_expression ::=
state_field_path_expression |
string_literal |
input_parameter |
functions_returning_strings |
aggregate_expression |
case_expression |
function_invocation |
(subquery)

Did I miss something, or is there actually a rule missing in the grammar
for this?

Thank you!

Christian

--
Christian Romberg
Chief Engineer | Versant GmbH
(T) +49 40 60990-0
(F) +49 40 60990-113
(E) cromberg_at_versant.com
www.versant.com<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.versant.com%2F&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFrqEzeeEBc_gN_8mxtt8xDB0tjXDXQVlw>|
www.db4o.com<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.db4o.com%2F&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFrqEzdo3Q40RwKQPBtnPIuBYQd1diFxJQ>
--
Versant
GmbH is incorporated in Germany. Company registration number: HRB