users@jms-spec.java.net

[jms-spec users] JMS_SPEC-116: Make Message Poisoning Handling a priority?

From: David Heffelfinger <dheffelfinger_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2015 19:50:19 -0400

New guy here, apologies if I'm breaking any rules, if this is the case
please let me know.

In any case, I read Nigel's "More flexible JMS MDBs (Version 2)" document
at https://java.net/projects/jms-spec/pages/JMSListener2 and have some
comments.

I like a lot of the ideas that have been suggested.

Most of the ideas suggested will result in a better, easier to use APIs,
which is great, however, the following particular suggestions addresses
what, in my experience, is one of the biggest pain points when using MDB's:

"The JMS provider should detect repeated attempts to redeliver the same
message to a MDB. Such messages may either be
discarded or delivered to a provider-specific dead message queue. (Note
that this not completely new to JMS: JMS 2.1
section 8.7 refers to a JMS provider "giving up" after a message has been
redelivered a certain number of times)."

I am actually working on a project right now that uses JMS extensively, and
"JMS Message Poisoning" has been a problem
that has been not that easy to solve. Essentially if there is an exception
when handling a message, the message is put
back in the queue then immediately consumed again by the same MDB, again
the exception is thrown, the message goes back
in the queue, essentially in an infinite loop. It would be great if the
spec provided a standard, easily configurable way to deal with this
situation. If I may, I think it would be nice that this particular
suggestion does not "fall through the cracks" (i.e. make it a high
priority).

Just my two cents.

David
--