users@jms-spec.java.net

[jms-spec users] Re: JMS_SPEC-116: Take advantage of EJB 3.2's RA improvement for MDBs

From: Nigel Deakin <nigel.deakin_at_oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2015 13:02:29 +0100

Thanks to those who commented on my proposals to improve JMS MDBs at
https://java.net/projects/jms-spec/pages/JMSListener

I've reviewed the comments and produced a second version, which can be seen at
https://java.net/projects/jms-spec/pages/JMSListener2

This incorporates the main suggestions made so far, notably

* Allowing multiple callback methods (though not everyone likes this)
* Requiring the return type to be void
* Allowing these new anotations to be used with the onMessage method of a MessageListener
* The earlier proposal to set a parameter to null if it cannot be set because its type is incompatible has been dropped.
Instead, if this happens, then the message will not be delivered. (do we need to say anything else?)
* New proposals on callback methods that throw exceptions (are these good enough?)
* Dropping the ability to specify the non-portable queue or topic name (at least for now)

A full list of changes is given on that wiki page at
https://java.net/projects/jms-spec/pages/JMSListener2#Changes_from_version_1

These changes raise new issues, and there are lots of existing issues still to work on, but I think this new version is
a better basis for continued review.

Meanwhile I have successfully implemented almost all of this in GlassFish and MQ, and continue to be pleased at how
straightforward this is, with almost all the changes in the resource adapter. I am still looking at how to share this
prototype, and the tests I have written, with the community (we really need a new version of GlassFish to be launched).

Although I'm grateful for the feedback so far, I have had very few comments overall, even from members of the expert
group. I appreciate everyone has other work to do, so is there anything I can do to make it easier for people to
participate? One possibility would be for me to hold a conference call where we could chat about this. Would that help?

In any case, please take a look at the updated proposals and let me know your comments.

Thanks,

Nigel