users@jms-spec.java.net

[jms-spec users] [jsr343-experts] Re: Re: (JMS_SPEC-43) New API to send a message with async acknowledgement from server

From: Rüdiger zu Dohna <ruediger.dohna_at_1und1.de>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2012 09:24:03 +0200

On 2012-06-28, at 13:05, Nigel Deakin wrote:
> As I said, it was to make it easy to prevent programmers from accidentally writing bad code though this isn't something I feel strongly about. Your remark that it's not the spec's job to babysit application writers is a valid one. Does anyone else have any comments on this?

Only skimming these mails, I don't understand all of it, but this one sounds quite patronizing to me. Developers are not babies, but they are under enormous pressure to get things done, leaving only time to learn what they actually need. So the default behavior should always be as safe as possible... and this is especially true when it comes to multi-threaded code: Nothing is worse than code that passes all of your unit and integration tests and then sporadically fails without any apparent reason in production. If you'd need to study the spec carefully to find out what's wrong, the spec is not doing it's job!

Yes, I do feel strongly about this!

Rüdiger