users@jms-spec.java.net

[jms-spec users] [jsr343-experts] Re: (JMS_SPEC-47) Deprecate domain-specific APIs and propose for removal

From: Clebert Suconic <clebert.suconic_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 13:33:43 -0500

Well, I just talked to Jason Greene, Application Server lead at JBoss,
and he's part of a few EE specs...

"They really dont deprecate much. There is a pruning process for
making certain specs optional. So the best way to go about this would
be to define JMS 2 as being radically different, and then prune JMS 1
in the EE spec which includes JMS2 for that to happen a majority vote
must pass. Then it takes an entire new rev of the EE spec before its
removed. Example JAX-RPC was pruned in EE6, removed in EE7"

We would need to make JMS2 a separate spec, and make JMS1 optional,
and still pass a majority vote on doing it.. i.e. I don't see it
happening:

So, I guess we are really stuck with those interfaces as you said.
It's sad though.. it would be nice to have something on the process
allowing such things.

Anyway, I'm all for adding notes on the javadoc about avoid using
them. At least we should help people to move out of these domain
specific APIs.