jsr343-experts@jms-spec.java.net

[jsr343-experts] JMS 2.0 Specification Document - Reorganisation

From: Nigel Deakin <nigel.deakin_at_oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2013 19:32:31 +0000

I have reorganised the JMS 2.0 spec document and committed a new version to the project repo at
http://java.net/projects/jms-spec/sources/repository/content/jms2.0/specification/word/JMS20.pdf

The structure of the JMS 1.1 specification reflected the domain-specific APIs introduced in JMS 1.0, with section titles
such as “QueueConnection” and “TopicSubscriber. This was an inappropriate structure even in JMS 1.1 since these
interfaces had been superseded in JMS 1.1 by the “unified” API.

The addition of the simplified API in JMS 2.0 makes that structure even more inappropriate.

I have therefore restructured the specification document along functional lines, with chapter headings such as
“connecting to a JMS provider” and “receiving messages”. These describe each area of functionality in generic terms
followed by a description of how it is implemented in the various APIs.

Much of the wording is more generic. Where the previous version referred, say, to TopicSubscriber, the latest version
uses the more generic term "consumer", with an explanation that, depending on which API you're using, this might be a
MessageConsumer, JMSConsumer or TopicSubscriber. I hope this makes the document easier to understand, especially for
those unfamilar with earlier versions of JMS>

This means that the simplified API is no longer defined in its own chapter at the end of the document. Instead it's been
merged into the rest of the specification.

This reorganisation is NOT intended to introduce any actual changes to the spec. Most of the text is unchanged, but I've
moved everything about to fit in with the new structure.

I have deleted the chapters which describe the changes made in earlier versions. These are now of historical interest
only. If anyone wants to read them they can look at the JMS 1.1 spec.

If anybody would like to review my changes they would be most welcome. I reset the change bars before doing the
organisation, and have adjusted the change bars so that very minor changes are not shown. In any case, if anyone sees
anything odd or has any questions or comments just let me know.

I've tried very hard to make sure that we haven't lost any significant text in this reorganisation. To help me do this
I've created a document which maps each section in the old version to the corresponding section in the new version. This
document is in the project repo here:
http://java.net/projects/jms-spec/sources/repository/content/jms2.0/specification/word/OverviewOfReorg.pdf

Note that this version is functionally the same as the public draft, and doesn't include any of the changes we have been
discussing over the past couple of weeks (e.g the resource adapter changes). Now that I've reorganised the document I
will now do that.

Nigel