jsr343-experts@jms-spec.java.net

[jsr343-experts] Re: [jms-spec users] jms2.0 spec adoption into glassfish

From: Nigel Deakin <nigel.deakin_at_oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 18:54:19 +0100

Oleg,

On 18/10/2012 13:55, Oleg Tsal-Tsalko wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm member of LJC community. Just joined java.net <http://java.net> JMS2.0 community several days ago.

Welcome! This email alias is exactly the right place to ask questions or make suggestions about JMS 2.0 and its
Reference Implementation (RI).

Depending on what the question is, you may also find the Open Message Queue and GlassFish user aliases useful:
users_at_mq.java.net or users_at_glassfish.java.net.

> Now playing with JMS20Demo project, but can't understand full picture of jms2.0 spec adoption process into GF.
> As I understood OpenMQ 5.0 is a reference implementation for JMS2.0 spec.

Yes. At Oracle we're developing all the new JMS 2.0 features in the Open Message Queue and GlassFish projects.

Strictly speaking the RI itself will be a stripped-down version of Open Message Queue intended only to pass the
compliance tests, and released under a specific RI licence (linked from http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=343).

It is likely that you will be more interested in the normal versions of Open Message Queue and GlassFish, released under
the same open source licences as now. Early builds of these are already available for download. If you want to try out
JMS 2.0 in an application server, download GlassFish 4.0. If you're only interested in using JMS 2.0 in Java SE,
download Open Message Queue. It's essentially the same thing.

> Found .zip archive with sources
> http://mq.java.net/5.0.html. But where is SVN repo for it?

> Also saw commit into GF repo in scope of http://java.net/jira/browse/MQ-177. But it is only to
> support @Inject JMSContext in GF.
> It should be some MQ Client API or MQ Adapter code in GF repo, isn't it? And latest OpenMQ RI should be integrated into
> GF repo, right?

The JMS client, broker and resource adapter are developed as Open Message Queue, using a separate Mercurial code
repository. periodically, builds of Open Message Queue are incorporated into GlassFish.

If you go to http://mq.java.net/5.0.html#download and look at "Source-code Downloads 5.0" there's a comment "Mercurial
archive is not yet available. Use the source-archive link in the Downloads table, above." I'll try to find out more, but
as you discovered the source code is available as a zip.

The feature you mentioned (MQ-177) is an extension to GlassFish itself to support the injection of JMSContext objects
into web or EJB components, and is developed as part of GlassFish, using the GlassFish svn code repository.

> But I can't find where these things are. Could someone please explain JMS2.0 adoption process into GF and dependencies
> between libs and repos.
> Help me complete full puzzle.

Hope this begins to answer your question...

Nigel