jsr343-experts@jms-spec.java.net

[jsr343-experts] Re: [jms-spec users] Re: JMS at JavaOne San Francisco 2012

From: Nigel Deakin <nigel.deakin_at_oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2012 10:00:07 -0700

John,

on 08/10/2012 17:23, John D. Ament wrote:
> Hi Nigel,
>
> I've spoken to a few people who attended JavaOne. What in your opinion was the overall feedback?

I can't say I really know what people thought. There was definitely a good amount of interest: the technical session was
full (about 120 people) and the BOF had about 30 people.

One person suggested the simplified API could use even fewer objects (which of course I did attempt to achieve
initially) but I also received quite a few comments that it did indeed appear to reduce the amount of boilerplate code
needed.

I got less feedback on the other features, no doubt because they were overshadowed by the simplified API. One person
questioned whether an async send was really a useful feature. At the BOF there were requests for admin and monitoring
features.

Pete Muir (CDI spec lead) attended my talk and made some interesting suggestions to me afterwards which I'm following up
with him.

What feedback did you receive?

> Personally I'm surprised you stayed with a Netbeans specific example and did not use Maven for a build tool, would
> probably have increased usage after download.

Maven is great, of course. But the demo was deliberately GUI-based since looking at the code (and comparing the old and
new APIs) was a major part of the demo. But I'll look into providing a maven project.

Nigel