jsr343-experts@jms-spec.java.net

[jsr343-experts] Re: (JMS_SPEC-43) New API to send a message with async acknowledgement from server

From: Nigel Deakin <nigel.deakin_at_oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 16:49:01 +0100

On 17/05/2012 16:02, Nigel Deakin wrote:
> I refer to this JIRA issue:
> http://java.net/jira/browse/JMS_SPEC-43
> . . .
>
> These are is in the Early Draft and javadocs and I think are pretty much settled. However I've received a few useful
> comments about this from the implementation team, which I'd like to address.
>
> Executive summary for the busy
> ------------------------------
>
> In this email, I propose:
>
> . . . .
>
> * To clarify the required behaviour and expected implementation of an asynchronous send by incorporating the "Proposed
> general comments" listed below.

I should perhaps have expressed that as a set of alternatives rather than as a dogmatic proposal, since it depends on
how people expect to use this "async send" facility.

If the application is using it to send a continuous series of messages to a destination, handling missing or
unsuccessful acks by resending the message, but never blocking for the acknowledgement, then providing a listener object
is most appropriate (supplying either the Message or messageID).

However if the application simply wants to send a message, do something else, and then block until the acknowledgement
is received before continuing, then returning a Future is most appropriate.

I'd welcome views on this. (What do HornetQ users use this feature for?)

Nigel