users@jersey.java.net

[Jersey] Re: Is this project dead?

From: Marek Potociar <marek.potociar_at_oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2014 19:05:35 +0100

> On 27 Nov 2014, at 14:42, cowwoc <cowwoc_at_bbs.darktech.org> wrote:
>
> On 27/11/2014 8:28 AM, Matyas Bene wrote:
>>> Besides which, JAX-RS 2.1 isn't about new features. It's about minor bugfixes. Certainly nothing that would take them away for more than a month.
>> Based on the JAX-RS 2.1 scope, it's by no means a small target:
>> https://blogs.oracle.com/theaquarium/entry/calling_all_rest_jax_rs
>
> Ugh :(
>
> As far as I can tell, the idea for JAX-RS 2.1 first came about when I asked Marek to commit to a bugfix release for JAX-RS every 3 months because the bugs were piling up and I didn't want to wait 2 years for a fix.

I'm sorry, but that's plain rubbish.

We have discussed together about JAX-RS RI 2.0.1, which we have released already, including "JAX-RS 2.0 Rev a" of the spec, which contains minor fixes in JAX-RS javadoc. But we have NEVER committed to 3-month JAX-RS release cycle. What I said is that minor fixes (which do not introduce new features and do not change API and are otherwise backward compatible) can be done in a micro release and, if needed, such micro release cycle of JAX-RS can be completed in cca 3 months, so that people do not have to wait with minor problems for the next major release. But that does not mean that we would be now releasing JAX-RS revision every 3 months...

JAX-RS 2.1 (I prefer to call it JAX-RS.next), is a major effort that will result in the next big release of JAX-RS and is orthogonal to our previous discussion.

Marek