users@jersey.java.net

[Jersey] Re: Grizzly vs Netty vs Jetty for Jersey

From: Marek Potociar <marek.potociar_at_oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2014 10:44:40 +0200

On 21 Mar 2014, at 07:48, Bharath C <Bharath.C_at_lnties.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I see Jersey actually gives a lot of support to Grizzly.
> As I see all Grizzly vs Netty vs Jetty comes form same family of servers.
> Just for curiosity may I know what is the reason for choosing Grizzly over others, I mean atleast its been directly supported.

In Jersey we like Grizzly, it's developed by our close friends :)

More seriously, Grizzly was one of the first NIO high-performance frameworks. It's also the IO engine used in GlassFish. And since it is developed by our close friends, we get the unprecedented level of support whenever we have a question or need a fix or improvement. As such, Grizzly is a well fit for Jersey and it is only natural that we focus more on supporting Grizzly and we will continue to do so in the foreseeable future.

Support for other containers is mostly driven by community contributions, esp. when it comes to improvements and new features. That said, once such contribution is checked in, we are committed to maintain the implementation with the same care as if the module was developed by Jersey core team.

Marek