users@jersey.java.net

[Jersey] Experiences with HTTP pipelining?

From: Casper Bang <casper.bang_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 13:44:03 +0200

Hello fellow Jersey users,

In designing a REST resource for uploading binary telemetric data,
I'll be in a situation of consuming potentially 30+ small requests a
second over a period of a minute or two. In the traditional WS-*
world, I would've used more course-grained wrappers, and although
that's still possible I guess, it doesn't give me some of the nice
properties of REST (fine grained error reporting, easy to reason
about, test etc.).

I am not so much concerned about saturating the endpoint, as I'd
simple use a thread pool. I am more concerned about the overhead
associated with opening so many connections. Are there mechanisms in
place for supporting HTTP pipelining in Jersey, or is this a
transparent issue only relevant to the container and http client? Any
users out there who have investigated the issue of letting the
transportation layer deal with abstracting many small logical requests
to fewer larger ones?

Thanks in advance,
/Casper