users@jersey.java.net

Re: DIGEST Authentication with Jersey client

From: Raphaël Jolivet <raphael.jolivet_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 05:15:44 -0700 (PDT)

> As far as I know, BASIC authentication is secure enough when it goes
> over SSL. It is even better than DIGEST over plain HTTP because SSL
> protects not only the password, but the content as well.

Yes, good point.
But in my case, protecting the data from reading is not really critical, as
it is not confidential.
All I need is strong control over the authentication for administrative
tasks.
So DIGEST perfectly fits my needs.
Moreover, I need to transfer very large amount of data. So SSL would be kind
of a big aoverhead for that.

I agree that people should be aware that digest authentication is nothing
about encrypting the data.