users@jersey.java.net

Re: [Jersey] Re: SAX Feature error in Jersey 1.1.4.1

From: Tatu Saloranta <tsaloranta_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 17:54:22 -0800

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 5:33 PM, Mike Baranczak <mbaranczak_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Yeah, it was way old - 2.6.2 to be exact. I was able to replace it with
> 2.9.1, and everything works beautifully now.
>
> I'm not crazy about the idea of requiring some specific parser library. I
> think the default behavior of Jersey should be the same as it is now - use
> whatever parser the JRE gives you, and if that doesn't work, let the
> developer deal with it. But I do like the idea of an optional setting in
> Jersey to force a specific parser implementation. Most people wouldn't need
> it, but it'd be very useful in some situations.

I personally prefer having loose baseline limits too (that is, try to
avoid forcing more recent version than necessary). But I think it is
much preferred to define what that version is (whatever it is) than
leave it to chance. So there already was a requirement of Xerces
version (to some degree), you just did not know there was one. This is
not a new requirement, just documenting existing one; implicitly
established of course (via failure on older versions).

But as to whether this is a reasonable baseline requirement (compared
to earlier versions, which do core xml parsing just fine, even 2.4
would do that), well, considering it is a security risk, companies
generally consider it worth the hassle.
I don't know many managers who would comfortable if asked to say it's
ok to use an older version that causes allegedly non-secure
processing, just to avoid inconvenience of library upgrade.

Finally: leaving decision up to developers may be reasonable approach;
but in my opinion it needs to be opt-out for secure processing, not
opt-in.

-+ Tatu +-