users@jersey.java.net

Re: [Jersey] What HATEOAS actually means

From: Jan Algermissen <algermissen1971_at_mac.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 21:54:04 +0100

On Feb 15, 2010, at 7:41 PM, Markus Karg wrote:

> "There is only and exactly one valid implementation of HATEOAS: Having links inside of the document.

I an pretty convinced that HTTP distributes hypermedia controls across body and headers and that this is not violating the hypermedia constraint. As this is more a technical choice made by HTTP it would not make sense to address that in the dissertation about the style. The style is not affected by the location of the links.

Maybe try sending a private mail to Roy so he can vote aye or nay? I would be pretty surprised if he'd agree with you on that issue.

I am with you so far that links should go into the body for the sake of document orientation. But the constraint is not violated as the client can still be instructed by the server what the transitions are - it does not matter where the links are located.

Jan

 Jan Algermissen, Consultant
 NORD Software Consulting

 Mail: algermissen_at_acm.org