users@jersey.java.net

RE: [Jersey] What HATEOAS actually means

From: Markus Karg <markus.karg_at_gmx.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 21:30:07 +0100

> On your blog[1] yesterday you wrote:
>
> "From a hypermedia constraint point of view it is irrelevant whether
> the hypermedia controls (that is links, link templates or forms) are
> placed inside the body or inside the HTTP headers. Placing the controls
> into the HTTP header can, for example, be a viable solution when you
> want to (or have to) use existing document formats for the body that do
> not provide the ability to place the controls in the body."
>
> Second thoughts perhaps ?

As I already commented on the above blog, Jan is wrong here. According to
Fielding it is *NOT* RESTful if the links are *NOT* in the media itself, as
the Headers are part of the protocol, not part of the media -- but REST must
work with *ANY* protocol, not just with http!

So it is pragmatic to use the headers, but it is not REST. And (once more),
JAX-RS is about REST, not about pragmatic http usage. Isn't it?