users@jersey.java.net

Re: [Jersey] What HATEOAS actually means

From: Jan Algermissen <algermissen1971_at_mac.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 21:01:26 +0100

On Feb 15, 2010, at 8:48 PM, Jan Algermissen wrote:

> As for entities - I don't see how you could go by without a plugin mechanism of some sort (like you need message body readers/writers).
>
> I am not sure a generic approach is feasible because hypermedia can take many forms
>
> - links
> - link templates
> - forms
> - exotic (as in http://www.nordsc.com/blog/?p=293#cbcID-tweak )
>
> Basically a media type could define any kind of syntax for expressing a hypermedia link

Thinking about all that I wonder with how many links a machine client would have to deal anyway. There is not much value in designing media types in a way that causes clients to have to execute sequences of requests to reach some goal.

Placing an order would be something like

- find the service
- get the service document
- find a resurce that accepts order submissions (a lookup in
  an AtomPub service doc using category and/or accept elements)
- POSTthe order document

Initiating shipment

- find the service
- get the service document
- find a resource that accepts shipment requests (se above)
- POST the shipemnt request.

Polling for updates using Atom feeds

- find the service
- find the feed you are looing for (based on category)
- GET the feed
- follow next links until all new events have been seen

I wonder if the amount of links that are involved in these scenarios warrant some sort of framework support.

But yes, it is worth ivestigating.

Jan