users@jersey.java.net

RE: [Jersey] What HATEOAS actually means

From: Markus Karg <markus.karg_at_gmx.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 20:02:27 +0100

> And just to stress the point in big bold flashing neon lights :-) i am
> not currently suggesting this should be the pattern, or the pattern in
> it's current form, or indeed the only pattern that developers utilize
> to implement hypermedia support for their use cases (as Marc has
> already pointed out we want to make it easier to embed links in entity
> bodies). It is just the first, simple, concrete experiment we have
> done, based on others similar experience (Sun Cloud API), to try and
> make progress (knowledge and understanding) in this area towards a
> good solution in Jersey and towards good input into any new JAX-RS
> effort.

And what Jan and me want to say is that this experiment goes in the
absolutely wrong direction and such is useless, as it violates the
constraints of REST as defined clearly and unambiguously by Mr Fielding, and
such makes no sense in JAX-RS, as it is just not REST. Sun Cloud API is not
necessarily really restful, just because Sun says so. There is only one
person on earth that can define what rest is, as HE invented it. So if there
is any doubt about it, ask HIM. No need to have philosophical discussions,
as there is exactly ONE clear definition.