users@jersey.java.net

Re: [Jersey] Jersey's (experimental) approach to support hypermedia constraint

From: Jan Algermissen <algermissen1971_at_mac.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 21:00:18 +0100

On Feb 11, 2010, at 6:19 PM, Paul Sandoz wrote:

> On Feb 11, 2010, at 4:39 PM, Jan Algermissen wrote:
>

>> The most interesting part of this distinction is probably how it influences media type design (which is still a very nebulous area). The way you design a bunch of media types directly affects how flexibly the client can pursue its goals. It would be great to distill that into a principel for media type design.
>>
>> Example: if certain transitions are readily available from any state (e.g. via a Link: <..>;rel=service clients face less of a burden than if the availability of a transition requires several other transitions to be made before. Media type design can affect how RESTful your client side implementation is.
>>

> If i understand what you are saying then, interestingly, one could view WADL support in Jersey in that sort of light. It is available from any state using OPTIONS.

Yes, correct. I would not use OPTIONS though because the answer is not cachable and you'd need to call it pprior to every request. A simple link would do just fine:

Link: </service/global-hints.wadl>;rel=service;type=application/wadl+xml
Link: </service/global-hints.rdf>;rel=service;type=application/rdf+xml

(But please note that I would still discourage the overall approach as it seems to not focus on business level document design)

It would be RESTful though given that the links link to runtime form information.

>>> Haven't had a chance to read your blog yet, but I think it would useful if you can put together a running example (using Jersey perhaps? :)
>>
>> Working on it (see some other reply in this thread)
>>

> Great. Looking forward it. If you want to work in a branch of Jersey let me know and i will grant you committer rights.

When time has come I'll come back to that. I'll need a couple of iterations on my HD first :-)

Are there any procedures, guidelines or coding styles for the Jersey work I need to read first?

Jan

BTW: are you located in Europe? Maybe a F2F would at some point really help.