users@jersey.java.net

Re: [Jersey] Goals for hypertext constraint support

From: Paul Sandoz <Paul.Sandoz_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 11:44:56 +0100

Hi Markus,

Do you think the goals i presented are reasonable?

On Feb 17, 2010, at 7:28 PM, Markus Karg wrote:

> Paul,
>
> About: " Note that i am not interested in abstract philosophical
> discussions, nor interested in reverse engineering Roy's thesis, on
> what is the hypertext constraint [*]. I personally find such
> discussions very distracting, time-consuming, and are better suited
> for the rest-discuss email list (which i lurk on but do not
> participate in because i do not have the time)."
>
> In short: Then skip my postings. ;-)

:-) that would be inappropriate, i read everything on the list.

I just will try and avoid engaging (no matter how tempting!) in such
discussions that i consider are more suited to rest-discuss. I simply
do not have the time. I need to spend time helping Jersey developers
with other issues and fixing stuff. So my time on hypertext can be
better spent on the more concrete aspects of hypertext API details,
examples and pointing out factual errors with specifications, without
getting too deeply entangled in the latter!

So i am happy to leave such discussions up to other people on the list
and i am not suggesting that such discussions should not happen. Such
discussions can help towards reaching the goals 1 and 2 (one aim of
goal 2 is so we do not have to repeat such discussions ad-infinitum).
My preference is that such discussions should occur with goals 1 & 2
in mind: that they should lead to more concrete results in the form of
examples and prototypes.

Hope that clarifies matters a little more,
Paul.