users@jersey.java.net

Re: [Jersey] AbstractResources

From: Paul Sandoz <Paul.Sandoz_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2009 10:41:53 +0200

On Oct 3, 2009, at 2:08 AM, Cameron Jones wrote:

> Hi Paul,
>
> I'm looking to build a resource's navigation from the declared sub
> resource paths, since these are the uri templates it seems like i
> can get the names from here to keep things DRY?
>
> i'm not sure if there are other use cases but this kind of meta-data
> is very useful tho i don't know whether you would want to support it
> as a main jersey feature.

This model is critical to the functioning of Jersey. It is used in the
following areas:

   - creating runtime artifacts to match and dispatch and inject on
resource classes;

   - generating WADL

   - resource filter factories

By default it is possible to obtain the WADL for a resource by the
client sending an OPTIONS request. From this it is possible for the
client to navigate resources. It may be that in your case an instance
of the JAXB WADL class for a resource may be more appropriate?

In any case i think providing either the AbstractResources or the WADL
equivalent is useful. Could you log a feature? (our priority is to get
Jersey integrated with Glassfish for EE 6 so i will not have any time
to do anything until that is complete).

Paul.