users@jersey.java.net

Re: [Jersey] 'under dual CDDL + GPL license' means?

From: Paul Sandoz <Paul.Sandoz_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 13:24:45 +0200

Hi,

On Oct 17, 2009, at 3:44 AM, 森谷 郁文 wrote:

> Hello.
>
> 'under dual CDDL + GPL license' means?
> Does it mean to be able to select the license, e.g. can only GPL be
> used?
> (I only need to accept one of the two licenses?)

You can select the license that best suites your distribution and/or
modification requirements.

See here (and contents below).

https://glassfish.dev.java.net/public/faq/GF_FAQ_2.html#terms

Paul.

Q: GlassFish is dual licensed. How do I choose which license to use?

Anyone can download and use the GlassFish server under either the CDDL
or GPLv2 + the Classpath exception software license. Where the
licenses have effect is if you decide to distribute or modify the
code. At the time you decide to distribute or modify the code, you
have to choose a license. Once you make changes or distribute the code
under your chosen license, all derivative works must be licensed in
accordance with the terms of the license you choose.

Q: Why is the GlassFish server dual licensed under CDDL and GPL v2?
GlassFish server is dual licensed to support a more versatile free
software business model. The GPLv2 license will provide an additional
option to vendors who are unable to work with GlassFish under the CDDL
license. It will also make GlassFish more Linux friendly.
Additionally, this licensing model keeps Sun Microsystems' product
portfolios and bundles consistent: NetBeans is dual-licensed under
CDDL and GPL v2 + the Classpath exception.

Q: Are you licensing the entire GlassFish server under this method?
The majority of the GlassFish server code is available under the dual
licensing scheme and a few components are available under CDDL, Apache
or Mozilla Public License. See details about GlassFish components and
the licenses under which they are covered.
Q: How can something be released under two licenses?
Dual licensing is the practice of distributing identical software
under two (or more) different sets of terms and conditions. When
software is dual licensed, the recipient can choose under which terms
he/she wants to obtain the software. Generally, the two motivations
for dual licensing are business models and license compatibility.

For GlassFish server, we are distributing the code under two licenses,
CDDL and GPL v2 + the Classpath exception to achieve license
compatibility. This dual license allows for more flexibility when
combining code licensed from various free software projects with
GlassFish software. It allows users to choose the license they're most
comfortable with. As a matter of policy, Sun never takes rights away.
As a result, Sun has added GPL v2 + the Classpath exception as the
option so that GlassFish will continue to be available under the CDDL
license.