users@jersey.java.net

Re: [Jersey] hateoas support in Jersey?

From: Felipe Gaścho <fgaucho_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 09:25:51 +0200

> Do not get yourself into the trap of thinking that the URI of a resource should be a column in a database table.

Dont't need to be a column, but in my case it will be a "placeholder"
column since my Entities are also my serializable elements.. I will
just not care what the content is in the database (a collection 1..n)
but the column should be there (in my specific architecture) to allow
the serialization of the entities without tricks in the service
layer....

> terms, the URI of a resource is a *view* tier concept, not a *model* tier

About model X view: in hateoas, the idea is that the service guide the
client through its navigation.. a bit weird concept and I am yet not
sure about its applicability in the real world.. but what I am doing
right now is to include the next-possible-states or
the-most-natural-next-steps in the resources.. so the Client should
find quickly the URLs it need to navigate through the application....

It is the first time I am designing software with hateoas in mind, and
I am sure I will mature this concept during the next few months/years
until to have a set comfortable and robust architecture skills on
this.. but for now it is a lot of fun learning :)

nice chat .. let's see the evolution of this..

all code is public, and as soon I have my first results I plan to blog
or at least to discuss here my design decisions.......