users@jersey.java.net

slides and sample application from REST talk posted

From: Chris Winters <chris.winters_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 09:30:32 -0400

Last night I talked to the Pittsburgh Java User Group about REST and
Jersey. A lot of it was 'What is REST?', but I went into Jersey a
decent amount and people seemed impressed by how much you could get
done with so little. I talked up Jersey and the community quite a bit!

Anyway, my slides are here:

http://www.cwinters.com/rest/cwinters_intro_to_rest_and_jersey.pdf

and a sample presentation is here:

http://www.cwinters.com/rest/notem-0.25.zip

I tried to demonstrate the following things with the application:

- Basic Jersey resource use, including content negotiation
- How to include Jersey in a standard webapp (this is using Jetty and
a normal web.xml)
- JAXB used for both XML and JSON, including an adapter for JodaTime
DateTime objects
- Some @Provider demonstrations, including:
-- a FreemarkerTemplateProvider, and
-- JAXB marshaller/unmarshaller so that a @UriInfo could be injected
into an @XmlJavaTypeAdapter
- Integrating a standard Java webapp library like Sitemesh

Things I wasn't able to cover:

- Jersey client use
- Details of what's coming in JAX-RS 1.1
- Integrating a DI framework (Spring/Guice)

Hope it's useful!

Chris