users@jersey.java.net

Re: [Jersey] Jersey on app engine

From: Tatu Saloranta <tsaloranta_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 09:34:29 -0700

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 2:58 AM, Paul Sandoz <Paul.Sandoz_at_sun.com> wrote:

> On Apr 14, 2009, at 11:53 AM, Erdinc Yilmazel wrote:
>
>> Do you know any other framework that will play well in app engine
>> environment as a replacement to JAXB?
>>

> XMLBeans? JiBX?

Most data binding frameworks will probably have issues, due to
security limitations or missing classes. It's not so much the security
manager policies (which I understand -- and accept as a price of
otherwise really neat option for deployment) but rather missing
classes, and related problems that get you.

With JibX it could be that since code generation is done as
post-processing static step it might work better. So while I
personally prefer on-the-fly generation, to keep build process clean &
not require re-build when underlying lib changes, here more static
process could help.

But I also hope that Google improves things, many of the issues could
be transient. I'm just worried about the pattern of these issues, with
Android, now GAE, and seeming lack of concern from the provider side.

Perhaps what is really needed is just bit more competition. I wish
Amazon paid some attention to things between lowest (virtual linux)
and middle/high (message queues, map/reduce) level of processing
stack.
They generally know how to make no-thrills standard-enough systems,
without unnecessarily creating forks.

-+ Tatu +-