users@jersey.java.net

Re: [Jersey] Jersey on app engine

From: Tatu Saloranta <tsaloranta_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 09:16:50 -0700

On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 11:08 PM, Paul Sandoz <Paul.Sandoz_at_sun.com> wrote:
> Hi Erdinc,
>
> It seems like GAE subsets JDK 6. I wonder why?

I could be wrong, but based on my observations of Android platform
(...yuck), it seems as if they had some sort of attitude regarding
knowing better what to include, what not. And not being worried but
following some subset (standard or de facto). Sort of like attitude I
usually attributed to Microsoft SDK development teams. Or maybe it's
just me. It could also be that developers in question are bit junior
and ignorant of what's out there.

It was frustrating trying to find rhyme or reason for Android's
inclusion or exclusion of some parts of JDK. Some very strange
external packages are, for example, included in their SDK, and many
from regular JDK (esp. within areas of basic XML APIs,
javax.xml.transfrom.stream to get Source objects used by JAXP) are
omitted.

-+ Tatu +-