users@jersey.java.net

Re: [Jersey] Jersey 1.0 on Tomcat 6 with JDK 6 does not run

From: Paul Sandoz <Paul.Sandoz_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 10:27:14 +0100

On Feb 19, 2009, at 8:08 PM, Craig McClanahan wrote:

> sarat.pediredla wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a Jersey enabled application that is deployed on Tomcat 6. I
>> have had
>> no problems running this in JDK 5 but a recent JDK update to 6 is now
>> breaking everything. The error I get is as follows,
>>
> One potential issue is that, in JDK 1.6, the JAXB libraries are now
> bundled. You might try removing them from your webapp to see if
> that (removing the duplicated JAXB classes, possibly with a
> different JAXB version) makes any difference.

Another issue is you could be depending on a JAXB feature that is not
supported by the JAXB shipped with JDK 6.

As i understand it JAXB 2.0 [1] is shipped with SE 6 and you may be
depending on a JAXB 2.1 feature.

See [1] on how to use the endorsed mechanism.

If you may give me the liberty to have a little rant... it was a
really bad idea to include JAXB, and JAX-WS, in the JDK. It might have
seemed like a good idea at the time, but all i see now is mostly
developer pain for those who want to use the latest functionality at a
faster rate that the JDK ships with certain versions.

Paul.

[1] http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/guides/standards/