users@jersey.java.net

Re: [Jersey] Whence jersey-spring-1.0.1.jar?

From: Paul Sandoz <Paul.Sandoz_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 11:44:21 +0100

Hi Ray,

On Dec 15, 2008, at 1:10 AM, Ray Krueger wrote:

>> OK I found that the jersey-spring module has moved under contrib:
>>
>> http://download.java.net/maven/2/com/sun/jersey/contribs/jersey-spring/1.0.1/
>>
>> So my latest jersey deps are:
>>
>> <dependency>
>> <groupId>com.sun.jersey</groupId>
>> <artifactId>jersey-server</artifactId>
>> <version>1.0.1</version>
>> </dependency>
>> <dependency>
>> <groupId>com.sun.jersey.contribs</groupId>
>> <artifactId>jersey-spring</artifactId>
>> <version>1.0.1</version>
>> </dependency>
>>
>> With that change I am now getting the following error:
>>
>> com.sun.jersey.api.container.ContainerException: The ResourceConfig
>> instance
>> does not contain any root resource classes.
>
> I had all the exact same experiences. It does worry me that
> introducing backwards incompatible changes in a patch version would
> happen at all. Changing the package of the ComponentProvider class is
> a major version change, not a patch version change.

Sorry about the confusion. 1.0.1 does represent a major version for
Jersey, although i think we could better improve the communication.

The reason we cannot call it 1.1 or 2.0 etc is because we have to keep
in sync with the version of the JAX-RS API which is at version 1.0.
When the JAX-RS API moves to 1.1 we can move Jersey to 1.1.x.y. And we
have to reserve x for major jersey versions and y for minor Jersey
versions within the scope of the JAX-RS API. See here [1] for details.

I hoped that from the Spring-developer perspective nothing but a
modification to the pom would be required. I am currently at a loss to
explain the current issue you and Farrukh have experienced.

Paul.