users@jersey.java.net

Re: [Jersey] Jersey ignores javax.ws.rs.core.Application

From: Gili <cowwoc_at_bbs.darktech.org>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 21:04:39 -0700 (PDT)

Craig McClanahan wrote:

> Gotta love defaults :-). The default for Jersey is the classpath
> scanner that analyzes every class visible to the webapp class loader
> (from WEB-INF/lib/*.jar, WEB-INF/classes/*, and whatever the server
> makes available).

How can it do that? The last time I checked, ClassLoaders don't expose a
list of classes or packages they have loaded...

Craig McClanahan wrote:

> This has the potential to be slower than the package
> scanner, but serves nicely as a default for smaller webapps because
> there are not so many classes that the universal scan takes too long.
>
> If you've got Hibernate, or all of Spring, or something else that big in
> your classpath, you'll probably prefer the package scanner.

Frankly, I think I would prefer this default even if my classpath *was*
bigger. It works great out-of-the-box and focuses on ease-of-use above
performance, which has always been my preference. Don't get me started on
Hibernate's classpath hell.

Good job Jersey! :)

Gili