users@jersey.java.net

Paper tigers and hidden dragons

From: Paul Sandoz <Paul.Sandoz_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2008 10:17:06 +0200

Hi,

For those interested in designing HTTP-based systems Roy's latest blog
entry is an excellent piece of thinking [*] about creating URIs and
scaling:

http://roy.gbiv.com/untangled/2008/paper-tigers-and-hidden-dragons

(the comments are interesting too, especially the XMPP and SMTP
comparison).

When i briefly looked at the REST and XMPP presentation (and the blog
entries about it) my right eyebrow did raise slightly in skepticism as
to why the example chosen could not be solved using plain old HTTP,
but then i moved on and got distracted by something else. In the less
than 30 seconds it took for me to be skeptical Roy had a solution, oh
well :-)

Paul.

[*] If It Doesn't Fit, Resource It
      http://www.crummy.com/2008/09/04/0