users@jersey.java.net

Re: [Jersey] Added new jersey sample spring-annotations

From: Paul Sandoz <Paul.Sandoz_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2008 10:45:00 +0200

Martin Grotzke wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-09-01 at 09:02 +0200, Paul Sandoz wrote:
>>> Yes, sending a patch to this list is one option, another is that you
>>> create an issue and attach the patch to this issue, and a third one is
>>> to complete the Sun's Contributor Agreement (SCA) to get developer/
>>> write
>>> access.
>>>
>> The SCA is required to accept any code via a patch or otherwise.
> If a jersey user provides a patch this would be reviewed and tested by a
> jersey developer and committed (by this developer) if everything is ok.
> So from my point of view finally this developer would be responsible for
> this code change.

Unfortunately it is not about code reviewing, testing and ultimate
responsibility for the code, which are all very important.

It is a legal thing related to sharing copyright and IP. So someone who
has already signed the SCA should not act as a proxy for someone who has
not signed.

   Q: What does the SCA do?
   A: By executing an SCA, you

      * share your copyrights with Sun
      * license any patents bearing on your contributions to Sun
      * assert that your contributions are original works
      * assert that you are legally entitled to grant Sun these rights
      * assert that your contributions do not violate anyone else's
        rights

      By accepting an SCA, Sun

      * promises that your contributions will remain Free and open-source
        software (i.e. will be published and will remain available by Sun
        under a Free or open-source software license).

      The SCA has been drafted in such a way as to be legally enforceable
      in multiple jurisdictions.

Paul.

--
| ? + ? = To question