users@jersey.java.net

Re: [Jersey] 0.11-ea-SNAPSHOT

From: Imran M Yousuf <imran_at_smartitengineering.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 13:55:26 +0600

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 1:30 PM, Paul Sandoz <Paul.Sandoz_at_sun.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Some of you may have noticed that i upped the version to 0.11-ea-SNAPSHOT.
> This implements the 0.11 311 API.
>
> Version 0.11 is very likely to become the 1.0 API, assuming no show stoppers
> are found.
>
> We hope to announce Jersey 1.0 when the final specification is planned to be
> published. Based on our current schedule that is the first week in October.

This is a great news once we have the API released we can safely use
it for production with the long term in view.

> I would be interested in hearing feedback on the rate of which we should
> evolve the Jersey APIs. We will need to make some package name changes and
> clean up the boundaries between modules. Part of the motivation for this is
> to make Jersey OSGi-enabled. Given our schedule this is likely to happen
> after 1.0.0.0 as a 1.0.x.y release, say 1.0.1.y, where 'x' signifies a
> change in the Jersey APIs and 'y' signifies a change in implementation (for
> Jersey to be a 1.1 release requires that there be a JAX-RS 1.1 version).

To be honest this time around the "0.10" version was creating some
discomfort for me, it would be more confortable if version were like
"1.0.x.yy" with x and y signifying the same meaning as mentioned by
you. I would like to see frequent stable 'yy' releases to make the
latest fixes and implementations improvements public instead of asking
to use SNAPSHOTS to avail them.

Also in this regard for samples, I would like to add "1.0.x.yy.zz" in
order to incorporate new and richer samples as they are integrated
into trunk.

Best regards,

Imran