users@jersey.java.net

Re: [Fwd: Re: WADL and JavaScript generation]

From: Gérald Quintana <gerald.quintana_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 11:47:40 +0100

Hi Paul,

Happy new year!

> > Question 1: I wondered whether it was possible to generate WADL
> > descriptor from Java sources using an Ant script or command line tool?
> >

> Would you be interested and have
> time to help out on developing such an ant task? My knowledge of the ant
> API is limited...

Sorry but I don't have a lot of free time and my Ant knowledge is
limited to using it.

> Note that such static analysis will not necessarily get all the WADL for
> all resources you have implemented. If all resources are root resources
> then it will work, but if you have root resources that return
> sub-resources then no WADL will be defined until those sub-resources get
> instantiated i.e. the whole application cannot be know at compile time.

It's a pity that sub-resources can not be identified by tooling.

> > Question 2: I saw that NetBeans 6 + JAXRS plugin was able to generate
> > a Java Script Client. I wondered whether a tool to generate JavaScript
> > stubs existed (wadl2javascript or something like that)

If JavaScript stubs could be generated, it would make the development
of AJAXified web applications a bit easier. We could use JAXRS
resources as RPC services to get/push data from/to server. Well, it's
just an idea...

Thanks for your answers,