users@jaxb.java.net

Re: JAXB2 2.0.3 UTF-8 support

From: Kostis Anagnostopoulos <ankostis_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 12:27:02 +0200

On 2/13/07, James Mao <james.mao_at_iona.com> wrote:
> James Mao wrote:
> >> And my project has been moved to ANT, it's just simple to get things
> >> done. Maven is too....
> >
> > I know, tell me about it. I'm thinking about doing "101 things I hate
> > about Maven".
> >
> > Actually finding 101 problems might not be too difficult...
> >
> > The worst part is that despite all those issues, sometimes Maven is
> > the best tool for the job!
> One thing i don't like it is that i really don't know which jar has been
> loaded in the classpath, i'm trying to print the classpath in the
> runtime, what i got is "classworld.jar" what the hell is that?
> in ANT, i CAN, it's very clear, which xmlparser i'm using, it's just
> easy to debug.

Try 'mvn -X'; it prints a lot of debug but it also dumps the classpath
of each plugin, just before executing it.

Alternatively, you can try the maven2 plugin at:
  https://maven-jaxb2-plugin.dev.java.net .
It has a verbose switch (use 'mvn -Dmaven-xjc2.verbose') that dumps
classpath (among other things).
That plugin has many features, performs up-to-date check to avoid xjc
re-execution, and in general it is more comfortable to work with.

> I don't know why we still need Maven? Maybe i should get more
> tutorial/lessons/consultant about maven, but i don't need with ANT,
> it's so simple

Maven has a steep learning curve, and even after that, you may have to
learn even more...the free e-book "Better builds with maven" comes to
the rescue:
  http://www.theserverside.com/news/thread.tss?thread_id=40126

But once you mastered its use, you never go back. It is always a
pleasure to just checkout a project and then type 'mvn install' and
everything just to work *without* having any libs imported into the
CVS.

Also, a good advice is to setup a private-remote maven repository into
your working place as soon as possible. Many things tend to break
otherwise (i.e., SNAPSHOT plugins, missing artifacts from
www.ibiblio.com, etc).
See for an example:
  http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-3rd-party-jars-remote.html

Regards,