users@jaxb.java.net

Re: maven-jaxb2-plugin

From: Kohsuke Kawaguchi <Kohsuke.Kawaguchi_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 17:04:10 -0700

Kostis Anagnostopoulos wrote:
> Indeed! I'm leaving for a 2-week trip to Barcelona (my summer
> vacations), and when i come back, i want to participate into the whole
> hyperjaxb3 effort.

Cool!

> Also, in a more technical aspect, there are rumors in the company i
> work that in October we will start upgrading from weblogic server 8.1
> to 9.1, so at last, it won't be necessary to retrotranslate
> everything (remember Koshuke you had asked me to try jaxb-2.x ? now
> you see one reason i was a bit reluctant)

It would really mean a lot to me if you can publish instructions to how
to retrotranslate JAXB 2.0 to run with JDK 1.4.

There are things I can't talk about without making a lot of people
upset, and this is one of those. Hearing what people do, there seem to
be a lot of people who'd benefit this. It's not that I don't know how to
do it (I even made some changes to the RI so that it works.) It's just
that I can't talk about it publicly.

But I think you can talk about it, right?

>> Yes, but it's not the easiest (in terms of time/communication overhead) option
>> for me. I've made the plugin in about an hour, plus "testing" and "tests"
>> modules - another two hours. It's three hours for the whole job. And I have full
>> control. This reduces the overhead drastically and I can go back to the primary
>> things like hyperjaxb3.
>
> I think i have to agree with Aleksei, that it is not worth the effort
> to combine the 2 plugins, for their code is simple enough. If we
> combined them, it would be the dependencies that will be a major
> problem (maven does not support yet virtual dependency sets).
> Documentation would also be a burden.

OK. I understand. As I said, I was just asking.

--
Kohsuke Kawaguchi