users@jaxb.java.net

Re: any estimate on when jaxb2 will be under the bcla?

From: Mark Brouwer <mark.brouwer_at_virgil.nl>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 12:06:32 +0200

Kohsuke Kawaguchi wrote:

> The latest codebase is covered under CDDL (this I can say with much
> confidence.)
>
> And I think CDDL allows you to build a production services on top of it,
> re-distribute it, or modify the RI source code (this I say with much
> less confidence --- I should read CDDL some day.)

Modifying the RI source code is allowed under the condition you make
your Modifications available (this doesn't mean you have to contribute
back to the project, but that is probably welcomed).

The scope of Modifications is accuratly defined, see
http://www.sun.com/cddl/cddl.html, and still allows for proprietary
extensions.

For a FAQ about the CDDL see
http://www.opensolaris.org/os/about/faq/licensing_faq/

The only thing I'm not sure about is whether you are still allowed to
call it JAXB as that might be a trademark issue which is not covered by
the CDDL.
--
Mark