users@jaxb.java.net

Re: any estimate on when jaxb2 will be under the bcla?

From: Kohsuke Kawaguchi <Kohsuke.Kawaguchi_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 15:36:40 -0700

Looking at http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=222, it's past public
review period. So the next step is proposed final draft review, and I
think it will start very soon. If PFD completes without any significant
problem, it will go final at the end of the review period (or something
like that.)

So I think it's sometime early next year.

jonathan gold wrote:
> i've been using jaxb2ea successfully for awhile for testing, and would
> like to start building some production services on top of it, but i
> don't think it'll be covered under the current license that ships with
> the EA release of jaxb2. are there plans to release it under a different
> license?

The latest codebase is covered under CDDL (this I can say with much
confidence.)

And I think CDDL allows you to build a production services on top of it,
re-distribute it, or modify the RI source code (this I say with much
less confidence --- I should read CDDL some day.) If my understanding is
correct (which I'm not very confident), I don't see any legal problem in
using JAXB RI 2.0 as it is today.

You should read CDDL yourself and see if it allows you to do so or not.

> i'm not interested in distributing it -- i just want to use it to help
> power a production server.

But beware, as we've been making changes since EA2...

--
Kohsuke Kawaguchi