users@jaxb.java.net

Root element with anyType

From: Franklin, Brian <brian.franklin_at_ciraden.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 16:03:45 -0400

First off, I would like to congratulate the JAXB team on the new release and
offer my sincerest thanks for implementing type substitution. You can be
sure that we will put it to great use. Also, thanks for including the
synchronized methods extension in the standard JARs (even if it is still
just an extension).

Now, for a quick question. If you declare a root element of type "anyType",
the compiler gives the following error:

[ERROR] delegation to the type "java.lang.Object" is specified but the type
is not an interface.

However, child elements of anyType work fine and use Object as their
delegated type. Is this a bug, a consequence of the spec, just a difficult
problem to solve...?

Thanks again for the hard work. It is much appreciated.

Brian Franklin